Click New Payment on the Transaction tab to bring up the Payment window.
Notice the following:
- Receipt, Send and Letter fields are in the top section -one for entire payment.
- Row for Category, Subcategory and Amount. This makes splitting a payment more intuitive. For payments that are not being split, just enter one line.
- Applied check box is a read-only field that indicates if this row in the payment is being applied to a bill.
- Apply Payment button. Click this button to bring up the Apply window for easy and simple applying a payment to one ore more outstanding bills. See next section for details.
- In Memory Of, Organization, Solicitor, Mailing and Memory/Honor fields along the bottom -one for the entire payment.
- Hide Details button will hide these five fields.When clicked, the button changes to "Show Details".
You can set the default visibility of these fields under Tools > Options > Invoices.
Other Important Points:
- There is an option for "Prompt to Apply when outstanding bills exist". Tools > Options > Invoices.
Setting this option will automatically bring up the Apply Payment window when you enter the Category section.
- Clicking the Apply Payment button when there are no outstanding bills, will prompt you if you want to enter a new bill. You will get this prompt if you have the "Prompt to apply" as well.