In the process of simplifying the phone and email setup (see here for details
), it is now possible to have multiple phone numbers of a single phone type. Because of this change, when a phone number is submitted online, it can either replace the existing primary home phone number or it can be added as an additional home phone number.
While in the past, the form setup had an option of selecting which phone type, this field is now ignored. A phone number is assumed to be a home phone number. (Future updates to the Form Setup will discontinue the PhoneType drop-down).
Click Program Setup > Options > Custom tab to set the Phone and Email options.
When set to Add (recommended setting):
- If there is no Shared Home phone number, the phone number submitted will be added as the primary shared home phone number.
- If there already is a Shared Home phone number and that number is identical to the one submitted, nothing will be added.
- If there already is a Shared Home phone number that is different than the one submitted, that phone number will made secondary and the new Home number will be added as the Primary Shared Home phone number.
When set to Replace:
- If there is a Home phone number, that number will be replaced with the number submitted.
- If there is no Home phone number, that number will be added as the Primary Home phone.
Note: The system will only check for existing Home phone numbers that are "shared". If an existing Home phone number is associated with an individual (not shared), the submitted number will be added as a new Primary Shared Home phone number even if the number is identical to the one submitted.
The same applies to Emails with one important difference: In checking for emails, it will check for a Primary email address associated with either Him or Her (depending on the submission).